Thursday, 30 June 2011

I'm naming my sewing machine

With the boyfriend sent out for the day and the flat quiet and tidy I decided to have a bag making marathon. I had a few orders come through all ready and it was time to get making. So I cut out all the fabric and made all the bag structures.

It was after this I had a little break and a reflection on my mornings work. I was proud at how quickly I had completed the bags as I'm not naturally talented or skilled in the sewing department. This led me to think about my great grandmother, Mrs Lily Taylor, my mum's nan. 

Lily was a dress maker. My mum tells me stories of the outfits she would make for the family without any patterns at all and the speed and quality of her work. Her main claim to fame was sewing the hem on the Queen Mothers wedding dress whilst she was an apprentice. Sadly I never got to meet her, I feel I would of benefited from her teaching. I was thinking I may not have her natural ability where sewing is concerned but maybe I have some part of her that will help me to learn and pick up skills along the way to one day move on to other sewing projects and ideas.

So back to the point of naming my sewing machine. People name their cars for good luck and I thought my little machine is going to be working hard so I think we need all the luck we can get. I have decided to name my machine Lily after my great grandmother because one day my machine will make great dresses just like she did.

So that was a little sentimental and I hope it has given you a little bit of a glimpse into Raspberry Iguana's personal side. 

Don't forget everyone that it is only 6 days until the website goes live. This means you can purchase!

With love Raspberry Iguana x



No comments:

Post a Comment