Tuesday, 21 June 2011

One down....

So the first bag has been made.  


I have to admit at this point that I have never been much of sewer so making one bag has been a bit of an ordeal.


Now bags for life are simple in shape and construction but if you know me you will add ditsy-ness to the equation and then times that by the small shoebox flat I am making the bags in and it equals chaos....


So everything seemed to be going really well at first, I cut and pressed the fabric and made the base of the bag, I thought I was on to a winner, I thought, with progress like this I could get 5 made today right? WRONG!


It started with the bobbin running out. At this point it's simple, just wind another bobbin. I still don't know how I managed it but I managed to wind the tread around the machine rather than the bobbin. So take 2, new bobbin wound, just re-thread the machine and off I go again. My mind must still have been boggled from the bobbin incident because because I forgot to put the plastic bit on that holds the cotton real in place and just as I was getting into a steady flow the cotton real comes flying off and hits the wall. It's at this point I realise that the thread is now running low and I will need to change that but then I have to switch to white rather than the cream colour I was using, which means winding another bobbin. 


Despite all this I finish sewing the bag and stand back proud once I have finished, it then slowly dawns on me that it is only half completed, I still need to print the image on.


Now in theory this should be the simple part. I had already drawn the picture so all I had to do was scan the image into my computer and print it out on transfer paper the only thing is I struggle to re-main calm and collected when I mix with technology.


So my computer and printer/scanner didn't seem to want to talk to each other this led to me yelling, pushing all sorts of buttons and pulling out every instruction manual I have to try and sort it out. Eventually after at least a couple of hours of pacing and pulling my hair out, I resorted to the classic turn it off and turn it back on again. 


All was well again.


So I feel it is fair to say there were a few hick-ups along the way but thankfully they were only minor. To be honest all was forgotten as soon as I looked at the bag. I was proud that I had achieved my goal of making an original design, homemade bag for life.  If anything I am more excited about Raspberry Iguana now and at least I could put the kettle on and put my feet up afterwards.


So one down and many to go...


With love Raspberry Iguana x

1 comment:

  1. most of my things are made from scratch, the bags, jewellery, home decor stuff are... the fascinators were just a customise and so far the clothes have been customising plain tops but this is changing at the moment I'm in the process of making a few items from scratch..

    some advice for the blog..erm.. well a header banner for the blog is a good start and perhaps a blog button for others to put on their blog to advertise you (plenty of good tutorials out there if you google it). A followers widget (found on the blogger design page) will enable people to follow u and keep up with what ur posting..

    build up followers and perhaps try linking some of ur projects to linky parties on some of the bigger blogs to get ur blog some attention and new fans. There's a page on my blog with a list of some u could try (i see u follow steph from luxe boulevard she does a thursday linky party).

    perhaps add some pages to the blog (another good one to google for how to's) so people can get to know a bit about u and what it is u do and perhaps a way of contacting u for orders etc. OOh and a link to ur facebook fan page, just grab the html code from facebook for the button of ur choice and add it as a widget :)

    hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete